Crown Ducal (A G Richardson & Co, Tunstall)
Best known for their 1920's tableware, including the much collected Orange Tree and their association with Charlotte Rhead, A.G. Richardson & Co. was only established in 1915. Charlotte Rhead worked for them for eleven years or so, from 1931, producing such designs as Palermo, Rhodian, Patch and Persian Rose. In addition to these tube-lined designs, Rhead also produced designs for nursery ware and tableware, motifs from which have been found incised on Crown Ducal vases of the 1930's.
Through the 1920's and 30's Crown Ducal also produced a range of drip glazed Art Pottery on a limited number of shapes, employing vibrantly coloured, thickly applied running glazes. Deep orange is often combined with yellow and blue over a brown base colour, or the orange may be splashed onto deep turquoise green; a cooler but equally pleasing combination is swirled green, turquoise and blue with a more matt finish.
Flourishing and expanding into new premises in Cobridge in the mid 30's, the firm sold these and moved to Knottingley, Yorkshire in 1974.